Моя подборка статей ( Interview)

В областях, не связанных с IT
KatrinaR
Уже с Приветом

Моя подборка статей ( Interview)

Post by KatrinaR »

Second Interviews & First Interviews

Second Interviews with Some, First Interviews with Others

First and second interviews can be quite different. Interviewers meeting you for the second time have different expectations and they're more comfortable with you. They expect that you'll be more informed about their company and express targeted enthusiasm for the position.

The questions you ask second time interviewers are focused on the company, industry trends, market drivers, key position deliverables, and competition.

During your second visit, you'll meet new interviewers for the first time. These interviewers are really first time interviewers and they'll conduct the interview like a 1st time meeting. The difference is they've heard good things about you and expect you're a strong candidate. But they'll still have to be convinced. With 1st time interviewers, conduct yourself like it's your first interview because this is your 1st interview with these evaluators.

Your Questions for 1st and 2nd Interviews

During the first interview, interviewer questioning focused on the position and your qualifications. You ask questions about the key position requirements and present your experience.

Questions you ask during 1st interviews include:

What are the key business reasons driving the need for this position?
Describe the three top challenges that I'll face in this job?
What has to happen for you to know you've hired the best person?
What are the key deliverables that this position must achieve?
What are the key metrics used to measure success?

Questions you ask during 2nd interviews include:

Please describe three company initiatives and how the position is linked.
What competitors do you feel present the strongest competition?
What market dynamics do you feel will have the greatest impact?

As with all interviews, make sure you ask the two closing questions at the end of each meeting.

What do you feel are my strengths for this position?
What concerns do you have about my background?

Changing the Game
Second interviews include meeting higher level people in the company. Higher level interviewers are more likely to be unskilled but they're more comfortable interviewing and asking unorthodox questions. Interviewer skill is not correlated to years of experience or level in the company.

As you progress through the hiring process you'll encounter different types of interviews. You may be asked to deliver a presentation. Panel interviews (multiple interviewers simultaneously), problem solving/simulation interviews, personality tests, mealtime interviews are also common on second interviews.

Show Me the Money

Finally, on second and third interviews you'll be questioned about your salary expectations and possible start date.

-Michael R. Neece, CEO, Interview Mastery
www.InterviewMastery.com
KatrinaR
Уже с Приветом

Post by KatrinaR »

10 Things I Wish I Knew Before Going on My First Interview
There are 10 concrete steps you can take to increase the probability of being invited back for subsequent interviews, or for raising the probability of a formal offer being extended to you.
First, be prepared. It can▓t be emphasized enough the importance of being well prepared for a job interview. Your degree of preparation speaks volumes about your interest level and conscientiousness. In addition to increasing your confidence, solid preparation will help you to give articulate answers and ask pertinent questions.

In order to make the best case for your candidacy for a particular job, you need to be prepared with information about yourself AND about the job, company, and field. It▓s difficult to make a case for a match if you only have information about one side of the equation. Keep this concept firmly in mind: If you don▓t find out what your prospective employer▓s problems are, there is no way to project yourself as the candidate best able to solve them.

Second, interview companies for your job - don▓t let them interview you. In the final analysis, you don▓t▓ ⌠get a job.■ You ⌠pick one.■ For most job seekers, this is an important attitudinal distinction. Many of us forget that the decision to accept a position is far more critical for us than it is for the employer. If they find that they have made a mistake, they just have to go through the recruiting process again. For the individual, you have just invested ⌠x■ amount of your professional lifetime that▓s gone forever. When you look at it that way, the ⌠selection■ you make begins to take on a different perspective.

Third, your most valuable interviewing skill is listening. By listening carefully, you communicate respect for the interviewer while being able to focus single-mindedly on the questions you▓re being asked, the way they▓re being asked, and any hidden meanings that may lurk within them.

Fourth, keep interviewing. The tendency for many candidates is to let up a little on your job search efforts after you line up one or two interviews. If you let up, and the expected job offer doesn▓t materialize for one reason or another, your pipeline is empty. Weeks could go by before you▓re able to set up initial interviews at newly targeted companies, with a concurrent erosion of your precious cash reserves - not to mention confidence, self-esteem, and morale.

Fifth, try using props during interviews. Props are work samples and other documents that display your talents, reveal your style, and make you a more memorable candidate. For instance: Fashion models, graphic artists, and ad agency people typically present portfolios, and so do carpenters of recent projects by utilizing ⌠before and after pictures■ Whenever possible, work these props into your discussion but never force them on the interviewer.

Sixth, statistics prove the person who is interviewed LAST has the best chance of being hired. Why? Because the last interviewee benefits from all the previous applicants the hiring authority has seen. Previous interviewing helps hiring managers to crystallize their thinking and further define the position in their mind. Of course, you▓re not aware of this. You only remember the great interview you two had. You don▓t want to appear pushy or desperate, so you wait...as the hiring authority meets other candidates. But as time goes on, you▓re getting further and further away from the new requirements. When you▓re contacted by a representative of the company to set up an interview, simply ask what times are available. Once you have heard the times, select a time that will make you one of the last applicants to be interviewed. As soon as a firm time is established, start researching the company and analyze what is important to the hiring authority. This way, you not only increase your chances of getting the job but also having the new job go smoothly.

Seventh, candor creates trust, not suspicion. A large component of many interview questions is the search for reassurance. Hiring people is difficult and mistakes are costly. So, interviewers crave reassurance that you will fit into the organization and solve the problems you▓re being hired to address. They want to have their confidence level raised. Most us have flat spots in our past and some of the more successful people among us have been through major failures. These flat spots and failures can build strong and insightful individuals. Whether an interviewer sees this depends on how candid and articulate you answer the questions.

Eighth, continually build common ground. When the initial interviewer says that you▓re being advanced onto the second interview, try to find out the business philosophy of and information on the second interviewer. Ask a question like: "Does this person feel the same way about (insert your key issue) as you do?■ You will get information you need to find common ground with your next interviewer. A wise strategy on your part would be to continue using this technique for each successive interview.

Ninth, write down the questions you personally would find most difficult to answer. Then practice answering them, using either a video or tape player to record what you say. Listen for ways to make your answers more precise and effective. Additionally, get three-by-five inch index cards and write out interview questions. Place yourself in the interviewer▓s position. What kinds of questions would you ask an applicant for this job? What would you be looking for? Repeat the process until you▓re completely comfortable with what you hear. This flash card and recording process is time-consuming but it will give you the poise, self-assurance, and confidence that you▓re looking for.

Tenth, don▓t suffer from negotiating impairment syndrome. Unfortunately, many job seekers relinquish their negotiating rights for such poor reason as:

The company said the salary was non-negotiable because the starting pay was already budgeted.

I didn▓t want to offend my new employer by holding out for more money. Besides, it seemed to be a fair offer.

I can▓t ask for a higher-than-offered salary right now; I just came out of a bad situation (bankruptcy, termination, or divorce).

I▓ll wait until I▒ve had a chance to prove myself.
All of these responses have a ⌠yes, but■ quality. For example: ⌠Yes, I would have negotiated, but I▓m currently unemployed ┘ or I▓m a career changer...or I don▓t have a college degree.■ Job seekers who give ⌠yes, but■ excuses for accepting less than they▓re worth suffer from negotiating impairment syndrome, which is characterized by a discounting or outright denial of opportunities to negotiate for more money.

-Joe Hodowanes, Career Strategy Advisor

J.M. Wanes & Associates
www.jmwanes.com
KatrinaR
Уже с Приветом

Post by KatrinaR »

What Are Your Weaknesses?

Conventional advice recommends you respond to this question by stating a weakness that is really a positive or translating a weakness into a positive like "I'm a workaholic and I spend lots of hours at work ensuring I do my job to the best of my abilities." Interviewers see right through this technique and it's rarely effective.

When interviewers ask this question they really don't care what your weaknesses are. They care about how you handle this question and what your response indicates about you.

The response strategy to this question is:

First, highlight your strengths for this position
Second, highlight an area that you are working to improve upon
Third, describe what you are doing to improve
Fourth, describe how this new skill improves your value to the company
Finally, ask a question.
To prepare your response, identify a new skill you have just learned or a skill you are learning now or a skill you are planning to develop. Whatever improvement area you highlight, relate it to the position or your profession.

Here is a fill-in-the-blank template.

While there are several strengths I bring to this position, including _____________ (and then you insert a couple of strengths), I am currently working to improve my knowledge of _____________ (blank). I feel this is important because it allows me to deliver added results in the areas of ____________ (and here you just insert a couple of areas).

Here's how this example might sound if you were seeking a position in sales or customer service and you are taking a course in finance & accounting.

"While there are several strengths I bring to this position, including being a top performer in my previous position and strong industry knowledge, I am currently working to improve my knowledge in the areas of business finance. I feel this is important because it allows me to directly relate products and services to customer's return-on-investment and to recommend department cost saving initiatives. Would you like me to elaborate on either of these?" Did you notice I asked a question right at the end? Asking a question will make the interview more conversational and avoid it becoming an interrogation. The response strategy described here is just one of hundreds of techniques provided in Interview Mastery.

- Michael Neece

CEO, www.InterviewMastery.com
KatrinaR
Уже с Приветом

Post by KatrinaR »

Interviewing Advice: Look the Part

The key word for all business interviewing (regardless of the position you are seeking) is conservative. An applicant can never go wrong displaying conservative demeanor during a job interview. Proper planning beforehand can help make the experience easy, beneficial, and almost pleasant. However, lack of planning will be recognized immediately by a competent interviewer. An important part of the pre-planning stage is appearance. Studies indicate that an applicant's appearance is the most important part of a first impression, created during the first few minutes of a job interview.

The fact is, if you provide a positive first impression, you will be considered for the position a high percentage of the time. On the other hand, if you provide a negative first impression, you will be rejected for the position a high percentage of the time. These percentages vary, but remain consistent with that age-old saying: You never get a second chance to make a first impression. The first impression is based primarily on appearance, and secondly on communications skills and basic interviewing practices.

There are other principles that come into play here as well. Employers believe that people are more productive when they are dressed well. Further, an applicant should dress for a position as if applying for a job one or two steps higher than the one being interviewed for. Many years ago these theories could have been ignored or argued. Hiring was accomplished by evaluating proper education, skills, work experience, or any combination of the three. But in today's society, with the incredibly competitive marketplace, the criteria of impact packaging has toppled any previous standard of hiring. Yet, there are applicants who sincerely believe that the way they look is not terribly important and that their appearance does not truly affect their chances of getting a job, as long as they are qualified. Only minor preparation takes place for some people in the appearance arena, and this is a mistake.

Upon polling interviewers, it was found that at the outset of a job screening (usually the first three minutes), several things unconsciously occurred. Many interviewers noted that the first items observed in that three-minute time frame were whether the applicant was the same or different from him/her. Examples:

Is this applicant male or female?

What is the approximate age of this individual?

What is the ethnic background of the applicant?
In other words: Is this person the same gender as I am, near my age, and of my same race or ethnic background? These thoughts or observations are not negative or positive - though at first glance they may seem to be. They are just unconscious observations. This thought process occurs without the interviewer even realizing it. Unfortunately, there is nothing an applicant can do about such facts, not even for the perfect position.

However, the next question - or observation - offers the applicant some control. What about this person's appearance? In addition to the actual physical appearance, a physical presence must also be maintained as part of the conservative interview package: poise, eye contact, confidence, and smile. Wear basic, conservative clothing for interviewing. Though a positive trend in society might be to dress according to the most recent fad, just one conservative interviewer can make the practice a risk for the applicant. Although a conservative interviewer might make a negative judgment due to an applicant's trendy clothing, a chic interviewer will usually not make a negative judgment if the applicant is dressed conservatively. Conservative behavior is respected across the board.

Make an effort to wear what you feel good in and something that you feel looks good on you. When you feel good about your appearance, it will show in the way you carry yourself and your overall performance. Choose colors and styles that accent your personality, but never wear clothing that is too flashy. Women should reject low-cut clothing. Men should avoid too-short pant legs, outlandish ties, and clothing that does not fit appropriately. Party clothes and blue jeans are not acceptable - no matter what. After you ready yourself for an interview, take a long look in the mirror. Women should not have runs in stockings, poorly applied (or too much) makeup, excessive jewelry, or glittery hair accessories. Men should not have stained ties or wrinkled shirts. Employers are very good at making connections: sloppy appearance often equals sloppy job performance. Basically, common sense is required. Ask yourself: Is there a slim possibility that what I'm wearing might make a negative impression on someone? Take into consideration the time needed to affect the perfect appearance. Once accomplished (before the interview), you will be better equipped to handle the other intricacies of the process without worrying about the physical judgments being made about you.

Don't Take the Chance

At a job interview, even one of the following items can negatively affect that first impression:

Chewing gum or smoking

Physical habits such as tapping fingers or clicking pens, bouncing legs or shuffling feet

Messy or unclean hair

Negative body odors or strong cologne/perfume

Visible tattoos

Torn or patched clothing

Unusual hair, such as lettering cut into it, spikes, bleached, odd colors

Too much jewelry or jewelry attached to odd places visible on the body (such as nose piercing)

Worn or unpolished shoes; gym shoes

Any form of poor grooming
-Dinah Courtney
www.Employment911
Employment 911 offers resume writing services that will get you more interviews and job offers - 100% guaranteed! The expert resume writers will create you a resume package that is precisely crafted to get your foot in the door and get you hired
KatrinaR
Уже с Приветом

Post by KatrinaR »

Win Your Next Job With Three Essential Interview Skills

With competition for good jobs at an all-time high, candidates who conduct their job search as a sales campaign consistently win out over those who don’t. When job seekers practice the skills of sales experts they learn to apply the strategies of a sales presentation to their job interviews.

To get to the top of the candidate list, you’ll need these three essential sales skills:

Pre-interview preparation
Finding and using the interviewer’s "Hot Buttons"
Closing on the next step of the interview process

1 Pre-interview preparation
Every great sales presentation starts with pre-sales preparation which includes client research, and product analysis. Job seekers prepare for interviews similarly: research on the prospective employer and a thorough catalog of their own accomplishments to illustrate their potential contribution and worth to the employer.

Thanks to the internet, company research is relatively easy, especially on publicly held firms. A few good sources are Yahoo, Hoovers, Wall Street Journal archives as well as company web sites. Information on privately held companies is often readily available as well. One of the easiest ways to get such information is simply enter the company name in your favorite search engine and see what pops up.

Minimally, you’ll want to find out company size, products or services, major competitors, branch or head quarters and any recent news items. Time allowing, it’s also very helpful to know some of the major players in their organization; a little history on them and future products, markets or growth objectives.

Once you’ve done the research, prepare to communicate your value through your accomplishments. Examine your career for examples of how you have solved problems, saved money, increased revenue, or created revenue opportunities for your former employers. As much as possible, dollarize or quantify your contributions. Do not depend on your ability to "wing it" through your interviews. Ask any high-producing sales profession, they will tell you that it is impossible to wing your way to success. It takes preparation and practice.

Once you’ve prepared for the interview, don’t forget the next essential sales skill:

2. Finding and using the interview "Hot Buttons"
An interviewer’s hot button is his/her unspoken concerns or wishes.

It’s your job as the interviewee to uncover the interviewer’s hot button. If you don’t ask, he/she probably won’t tell you. There are two magic questions that will reveal the interviewer’s hot buttons.

"What do you see as the greatest challenge for this position?"

"What qualities do you see as most important for this position?"
Once you’ve asked the all important questions—shut up and listen!
After the interviewer has revealed his/her hot buttons, use the information to frame your answers to his/her questions. You’ll connect with the interviewer much faster once you sell yourself based on his/her motivations.

Now that you have their attention, don’t forget the most important skill:

3. Closing on the next step of the interview process
The term "closing" as a sales term that means influencing one to agree to take certain action (as in signing a contract or writing a check.) A complex sale involves a number of small closes before the ultimate closing purchase. The interview process is a series of closes leading up to the final job offer.

If you’ve purchased a car lately you know that the sale starts with the text drive and moves forward through a series of carefully crafted questions such as "do you prefer silver or black?", "Which of you will be the primary driver?", "Shall we park this in the sale-pending area", "Do you wish to trade in your car, or shall we finance this 100%". The effective sales person knows what closing steps must take place—attempt to skip the steps and he may loose the sale altogether.

As a clever sales person identifies the small closing steps needed to move the sale forward, so must the job seeker understand the closes necessary to keep the interview process moving forward toward a job offer. Those steps look something like this:

The cover letter must entice the reader to read your resume.

The resume must motivate the reader to call you in for an interview.

In the first interview ask for a second interview:

"When would you like to schedule our next meeting"

"Is there any reason you wouldn’t consider inviting me back for second interview?"

"Who will I meet in the second interview?"

In the second interview ask to speak with the decision maker"

"Who, besides yourself, will make the final hiring decision?"

"When is convenient for Mr./Ms. Decision Maker to meet with me?"

"Is there any other presentation materials I should bring when I visit with Mr./Ms. Decision Maker?"

When speaking with the decision maker ask for the job offer:

"Are there any objections that prevent you from extending an offer?"

"When would you like me to start?"

"What challenges would you have me tackle first?"

Asking for the next interview or the job offer may seem bold, but try it. You’ll find yourself invited back more often and feel much more in control of the interview process.
Once you’ve mastered and applied the three essential sales skills for effective interviews you’ll see your job-search efforts accelerate and your confidence soar.

-Deborah Walker, CCMC
KatrinaR
Уже с Приветом

Post by KatrinaR »

Telephone Interviews

Many employers conduct telephone interviews to screen candidates for basic qualifications. It is also an alternative when it is not practical to invite an out-of-area candidate to the office.

Telephone interviews can be challenging because it is more difficult to gain rapport with the interviewer because you cannot see the interviewer's non-verbal reactions and cues. Conversely, the interviewer cannot see your enthusiastic expressions or professional appearance. This places all the weight on your phone manners, clarity of speech, voice tone and the content of your answers.

Here is a quick tip list for excelling at a telephone interview:

Treat the phone interview as you would a face-to-face interview.

Select a quiet, private room with a telephone in good working condition.

Conduct a mock telephone interview with a friend to gain feedback on your voice quality and speech.

Before the interview, prepare talking points for the call including value you bring to the company and specific questions.

Arrange the following items: your resume, cover letter, copy of application if you submitted one, highlights of corporate information and brief talking points.

Dress in business attire.

Breathe deeply and relax. Speak slowly, clearly and with purpose. Smile, it changes your speech and the person on the other end can sense it.

Write down the full names and titles of each call participant. Take notes when appropriate.

Be courteous and try not to speak over the interviewer. If you do, apologize and let the interviewer continue.

Support your statements with detailed examples of accomplishments when possible. It is easy for someone to get distracted on a phone call, so paint a vivid picture to keep the interviewer interested.

Explain any pauses in your speech to ponder a question or take notes. If you think of a question or comment while the interviewer is speaking, jot a note on your talking points list, so you remember it later.

During the interview, if the interviewer inadvertently answers a question from your prepared list, cross it off. If you forget and ask it, it will seem as if you were not listening.

Offer to provide additional information or answer other questions.

Use your talking points list of specific skills and accomplishments; cross them off as you work them into the conversation. At the end, if you have some uncrossed items, you might say something like, "I thought you might be interested to know I led a major conversion project, quite similar to what you are planning. I managed a $2.5 million budget and completed it 45 days early, saving over $48,000."

Before ending the call, be sure you know the next step in the process, and offer to provide any additional information needed.

Do not hang up until the interviewer has hung up.
Promptly send a formal follow-up / thank you letter, just as you would for a face-to-face interview.

-Copyright © 2000-03 TD Strategies LLC
www.seekingsuccess.com
Google forever!
KatrinaR
Уже с Приветом

Post by KatrinaR »

Wrapping Up the Interview

You feel the job interview coming to a close. You cannot wait until the interview is over and you are safely in your car again. Don't rush through the final minutes of the interview. This is your time to seal the deal.

As you go through the interview, pay attention to themes introduced by the interviewer. You will be able to pick up what is important to the company and what kind of person they want to hire.

Now you have this new information that you did not necessarily have before the interview. You need to work into the conversation the reason why you are the person they are looking for and how you can help the company achieve their goals. The end of the interview is the perfect time to reinforce your value. Simply say, "I want to share with you how I created a training program for new Receptionists...."

Then there is almost always the point in the interview when the interviewer says, "That's all I had, what questions do you have?" It is important to ask questions to show you are thoughtful, intelligent and interested in the job.

Avoid asking questions about salary, benefits, time-off, or dress code. Save that for the negotiation discussion. Also avoid asking things that you should know. Asking general questions about the company shows you did not do your research. Try not to be redundant or ask questions just to ask something.

If corporate publications and the interview have not addressed it, ask about the direction of the department of which you may be a part. Ask about the tenure of others in your position and the typical career path. You can follow-up with how your career goals are congruent with that path.

Ask what the interviewer feels is the biggest challenge you'll face on the job. This is the perfect set-up to explain how you will handle that challenge.

As the interview concludes, be sure you know the next step and what, if anything, is expected of you. For example, is there a second interview? A test? Sample work to be submitted? Find out when they expect to make a decision.

Ask for a business card. Shake hands firmly with the interviewer while making eye contact. Thank her for the opportunity. Be direct and let her know that you enjoyed the interview and would very much want to work there.

After the interview send a professionally formatted and printed follow-up / thank you letter to the interviewer(s). That's why getting the business card is important. Be sure you get the name spelling and title correct. Not all candidates do this. It's another way to separate you from the other candidates.

Copyright © 2000-03 TD Strategies LLC
www.seekingsuccess.com
Google forever!
KatrinaR
Уже с Приветом

Post by KatrinaR »

So, Why Don't You Tell Me About Yourself?

"So, why don't you tell me about yourself?", is the most frequently asked interview question. It's a question that most interviewees expect and the one they have the most difficulty answering. Though one could answer this open-ended question in a myriad of ways, the key to answering this or any other interview question is to offer a response that supports your career objective. This means that you shouldn't respond with comments about your hobbies, spouse, or extra curricular activities. Trust me, interviewers aren't interested.

Interviewers use the interview process as a vehicle to eliminate your candidacy. Every question they ask is used to differentiate your skills, experience, and personality with that of other candidates. They want to determine if what you have to offer will mesh with the organization's mission and goals.

If answered with care, your response to the question, "So, why don't you tell me about yourself?" could compliment the interviewers needs as well as support your agenda. This is a question you should be prepared to answer as opposed to attempting to "wing it".

Follow the four easy steps outlined below to ensure your response will grab the interviewers attention.

1. Provide a brief introduction. Introduce attributes that are key to the open position.
Sample introduction: During my 10 years' of experience as a sales manager, I have mastered the ability to coach, train, and motivate sales teams into reaching corporate goals.

2. Provide a career summary of your most recent work history. Your career summary is the "meat" of your response, so it must support your job objective and it must be compelling. Keep your response limited to your current experience. Don't go back more than 10 years.
Sample career summary: Most recently, at The Widget Corporation, I was challenged with turning around a stagnant territory that ranked last in sales in the Northeastern region. Using strategies that have worked in the past, I developed an aggressive sales campaign that focused on cultivating new accounts and nurturing the existing client base. The results were tremendous. Within six months my sales team and I were able to revitalize the territory and boost sales by 65%.

3. Tie your response to the needs of the hiring organization. Don't assume that the interviewer will be able to connect all the dots. It is your job as the interviewee to make sure the interviewer understands how your experiences are transferable to the position they are seeking to fill.
Sample tie-in: Because of my proven experience in leading sales teams, Craig Brown suggested I contact you regarding your need for a sales manager. Craig filled me in on the challenges your sales department is facing.

4. Ask an insightful question. By asking a question you gain control of the interview. Don't ask a question for the sake of asking. Be sure that the question will engage the interviewer in a conversation. Doing so will alleviate the stress you may feel to perform.
Sample question: What strategies are currently underway to increase sales and morale within the sales department?

There you have it - a response that meets the needs of the interviewer AND supports your agenda.

When broken down into manageable pieces, the question, "So, tell me about yourself?" isn't overwhelming. In fact, answering the question effectively gives you the opportunity to talk about your strengths, achievements, and qualifications for the position. So take this golden opportunity and run with it!

- Linda Matias, JCTC, CEIP
Google forever!
KatrinaR
Уже с Приветом

Post by KatrinaR »

J-Are You Being Interviewed or Interrogated?

It's up to you.

An interview is a business conversation where both individuals (interviewer and job candidate) gather information from each other. The interviewer asks questions about your experience, while you asks questions about job responsibilities, company culture, need for the position, etc.

An interrogation occurs when one person questions another to extract information. The interrogator asks all the questions and the person being interrogated only gives answers.

Many job seekers sabotage themselves by viewing the interview as an interrogation where they will only supply answers. This is not an interview. It is an interrogation. The most successful interviews are truly conversations, two-way exchanges of information. The most successful job seekers ask questions throughout the interview.

You are responsible for promoting a two-way conversation by asking questions. If you don't ask questions you force the interview to be an interrogation.

The following technique will help you create a two-way conversation and have your best interview.

Questions Travel in Pairs

To promote effective two-way communications remember the phrase "Questions Travel in Pairs". The interviewer asks one of the questions while you ask the second question, hence completing the pair. Here is how it works.

The interviewer asks you a question about your experience, you answer, and then you ask a follow-up question, completing the pair. They might ask you to describe your experience in a specific area, you give them your answer, and then you ask a question immediately after giving your answer. Just tag the question on the end. Here are just a few examples:

"Did I give you enough detail?"
"Was I clear on that?"
"How important is this skill in the position?"
"Did I cover that?"
The following illustrates the "interview" (conversation) flow when the candidate does ask questions:

Interviewer
Question

Candidate
Answer, Question

Interviewer
Answer, Question

Candidate
Answer, Question

The following illustrates the "interrogation" flow when the candidate does not ask questions:

Interviewer
Question

Candidate
Answer

Interviewer
Question

Candidate
Answer

You can learn many more unstoppable interviewing skills with Interview Mastery

-Interview Mastery
Google forever!
KatrinaR
Уже с Приветом

Post by KatrinaR »

Пожалуйста, девочки :wink:

Продолжение следует 8)

Interview Strategies - Do I Fit the Company?

When you are interviewing for a new job, it is often difficult to tell if you are a good fit with a company. Often times, employees will put on their game faces and act happy even if that is not the entire story. And fitting in with a company's culture is imperative for getting ahead there and enjoying the corporate game. Many of my coaching clients like the work they do, but do not enjoy the work environment in which they do it. So, how do you tell if it is going to be a good fit? Here are 5 questions that I recommend asking everyone that you meet within your prospective company:

What is the company's purpose?
If you ask five different people this question and get similar answers, then you can get a good idea of the company's purpose. You can then compare it to your personal purpose and mission statement and see if there is a good fit. If you haven't written your purpose or mission statement, now is a good time to write a Personal Purpose and Mission Statement. If you ask five different people what the company purpose is and you get five completely different answers, then this should be a red flag. Interpreting this information will require you to use your intuition, because it could mean many things. It could mean that the leadership of the company does not communicate effectively and clearly. It could mean that the only purpose of the company is to make money and the other purposes are secondary. It could mean that there is a lack of leadership in the company. What do you think this means?

What is the mood of the company?
Ask people what is the mood of the company. This might take a little explaining, but you can get some valuable information from these answers. Places, organizations, days, and times of day all have moods. You may notice that Monday morning and Friday afternoon have different moods. Also note that New York City has a different mood than the Bahamas. If you work for a company, you may notice that there is a certain mood that permeates the organization. Moods are contagious. If you spend 40 plus hours working in a company, chances are that you will begin to absorb the mood of the company at some point. This is great if your company's mood is one of excitement or ambition. Not so great if your company's mood is one of resignation or frustration.

What are the values of the company?
As with the first question on purpose, you should get similar answers from everyone that you ask. Maybe not the same exact words, but the flavor of the responses should be similar. And watch out for clichИ's like \"superior customer service\" and \"being the world class supplier of technology solutions\". Also, pay attention to the emotional responses and body language of the people you ask this question. Do their emotions and body language seem in sync with their answers? What you want to know is, "Are the values of this company in alignment with my values?" They don't need to be identical. But, there will be problems if they are in conflict with your values. If you aren't clear on your personal values, now is a good time to Clarify Your Values.

How would you characterize the leadership style of the CEO?
There are lots of leadership styles in the business world today. They run the continuum from command-and-control leadership to collaborative. The CEO's leadership style will set the tone for the whole organization. It doesn't necessarily mean that if the CEO has a command-and-control style your immediate boss will, but you will know what it takes to succeed and thrive at this company. If you learn that the CEO is a real command-and-control type and you are comfortable being part of a hierarchy, then no problem. But, if you are a free spirit who likes a lot of independence, this might be a red flag.

Do the leaders at this company walk their talk?
You might not get a straight answer on this one, but it is definitely worth asking. One of the biggest issues that I find in companies is leaders who say one thing and do something else. Before you go on the interview, spend some time envisioning the work environment in which you will thrive. What does an optimal work day look like? The clearer and more detailed your picture is the better. With a clearer picture of what you are looking for, you can view the company you are interviewing with a discerning eye.
-Debra Lea Thorsen

Return to “Карьера и Работа”