Как переводить

фразы, идиомы, диалекты
Viktoria.
Уже с Приветом

Как переводить

Post by Viktoria. »

Как переводить
That no one who didn"t know her as he did would have been able to notice anything...
Самое главное что смотреть в грамматике по глагольной форме.
Pink Monkey
Уже с Приветом

Re: Как переводить

Post by Pink Monkey »

Viktoria. wrote:Как переводить
That no one who didn"t know her as he did would have been able to notice anything...

Вы немножко неправильно выделили. It's a parsing problem more than a translation or grammar one.

That no one who didn't know her as he did would have been able to notice anything

Зеленая часть - указывает, что приведенное вами предложение является второстепенным. Темно-красная часть - в свою очередь, тоже второстепенное предложение, являющееся частью подлежащего. Часть, выделенная жирным шрифтом - глагольная.

Перевод вольный -
Что любой другой, не знающий ее так, как он, ничего бы не заметил.
A bon entendeur, salut
Viktoria.
Уже с Приветом

Post by Viktoria. »

PetitChaton wrote:

Вы немножко неправильно выделили. It's a parsing problem more than a translation or grammar one.

That no one who didn't know her as he did would have been able to notice anything

Зеленая часть - указывает, что приведенное вами предложение является второстепенным. Темно-красная часть - в свою очередь, тоже второстепенное предложение, являющееся частью подлежащего. Часть, выделенная жирным шрифтом - глагольная.

Перевод вольный -
Что любой другой, не знающий ее так, как он, ничего бы не заметил.

Спасибо, а по выделенной жирной части - какая грамматика. Объясните, пожалуйста, если не трудно. Спасибо.
Pink Monkey
Уже с Приветом

Post by Pink Monkey »

[/quote]

Жирная глагольная часть это модальный глагол would + present perfect of [to be able to notice]. Т.е. смотреть надо past conditional mood.
A bon entendeur, salut
Viktoria.
Уже с Приветом

Post by Viktoria. »

Спасибо большое. А то я всю голову сломала, а спросить стеснялась - стыдно позорится. Спасибо еще раз.
Boria
Уже с Приветом

Post by Boria »

А разве там не сослагательное наклонение идет? По-моему именно оно. То что называется subjunctive mood.
http://www.sil.org/linguistics/Glossary ... veMood.htm
http://www.getitwriteonline.com/archive/073001.htm
Boria aka Катя
Pink Monkey
Уже с Приветом

Post by Pink Monkey »

Имхо это conditional. http://www.usingenglish.com/glossary/3r ... ional.html

No one would have been able to notice anything - if they didn't know her as well as he did.

If they knew her as well as he did, they would have been able to notice something. Это были мои примерные рассуждения, когда я сделала вывод, что это conditional. По первой ссылке, согласна, что речь идет о irrealis modality, но не думаю, что subjunctive это единственный пример такой modality. Конечно, в лингвистике нет единой терминологии, поэтому вполне возможно, что их определение subjunctive включает в себя то, что в традиционной грамматике называется conditional mood. :pain1: :)
A bon entendeur, salut
vc
Уже с Приветом

Post by vc »

PetitChaton wrote:Имхо это conditional. http://www.usingenglish.com/glossary/3r ... ional.html

No one would have been able to notice anything - if they didn't know her as well as he did.

If they knew her as well as he did, they would have been able to notice something. Это были мои примерные рассуждения, когда я сделала вывод, что это conditional. По первой ссылке, согласна, что речь идет о irrealis modality, но не думаю, что subjunctive это единственный пример такой modality. Конечно, в лингвистике нет единой терминологии, поэтому вполне возможно, что их определение subjunctive включает в себя то, что в традиционной грамматике называется conditional mood. :pain1: :)

You are right, of course. The sentence being discussed does not contain any subjunctive; it has a so-called conditional perfect or 3rd conditional in the main clause plus two clauses in the past indefinite (the subjunctive could have been found in an 'if' subordinate clause if there had been one).

Subjunctive is practically dead in Modern English. Some examples are:

Present Subj.:

Long live the Queen
God help him
I demand thet he go (note the absence of 's')

...et cetera.

Past Subj.:

Counter-factuals:
I wish I were ..
If I were ...
As it were ...
If there had been ..

In the past tens, there is a separate form only for the verb "to be". For other verbs, the past subjunctive coincides with the past [perfect] indicative.

Rgds.
Viktoria.
Уже с Приветом

Post by Viktoria. »

Что кто не знал ее, как знал он, не мог бы заметить ничего.
Это перевод этого отрывка (Анна Каренина) в курсе Илоны Давыдовой.
Boria
Уже с Приветом

Post by Boria »

На самом деле сослагательное или условное одна и та же тема. Новая школа называет это conditional. Старая subjunctive. А в русском говорится сослагательное наклонение условных предложений. Сослагательное наклонение в англ. языке не умерло и я думаю не умрет. С чего Вы это взяли?
Вот посмотрите:

http://webster.commnet.edu/grammar/conditional.htm
Some writers seem to think that the subjunctive mood is disappearing from English, but that's probably not true. We use the subjunctive all the time to accommodate this human urge to express possibility, the hypothetical, the imagined. (You can review the Verbs and Verbals section for further help understanding the Subjunctive Mood.) Frequently, conditional expressions require that we use were where we would otherwise have used another form of to be. The switch to were is not the only manifestation of the subjunctive in expressing the conditional, but it is the most common.

http://webster.commnet.edu/grammar/verbs.htm
The subjunctive mood is used in dependent clauses that do the following: 1) express a wish; 2) begin with if and express a condition that does not exist (is contrary to fact); 3) begin with as if and as though when such clauses describe a speculation or condition contrary to fact; and 4) begin with that and express a demand, requirement, request, or suggestion. A new section on the uses of the Conditional should help you understand the subjunctive

http://tech-system.narod.ru/Lesson9.htm
Этот сайт медленно скачивается, но очень хорошо и много объясняет.
Boria aka Катя
Pink Monkey
Уже с Приветом

Post by Pink Monkey »

Boria, спасибо за разъяснение :) . Я приблизительно так и думала об употреблении термина "subjunctive" по отношению к тому, что традиционно называется "conditional". Это постоянно происходит - новая школа приходит со своей терминологией, и потом трудно разобраться, что имеется в виду. :)
A bon entendeur, salut
vc
Уже с Приветом

Post by vc »

Boria wrote:На самом деле сослагательное или условное одна и та же тема. Новая школа называет это conditional. Старая subjunctive. А в русском говорится сослагательное наклонение условных предложений. Сослагательное наклонение в англ. языке не умерло и я думаю не умрет. С чего Вы это взяли?

1. Please correct me if I am wrong, but you seem to be applying the term 'subjunctive' to the sentence as a whole. The subjunctive is a verb form used in conditional sentences. E. g.:

If I were you, I would learn to drive.

This is a conditional sentence consisting of two clauses. The dependent 'if' clause's verb is in the subjunctive form (or 'mood') whilst the main clause uses a form more frequently referred to as modal+infinitive, or less frequently, 2nd conditional or even less frequently present conditional.

The original sentence with which this discussion started does not contain any verb in the subjunctive.

2. I said the subjunctive was practically (almost) dead. The present subjunctive is a little healthier, but the past one is almost extinct. Please find a single example of the past subjunctive mood for verbs other than 'to be'. Even 'to be' is barely hanging on since the clause

=If I was you ...

is as good and 'grammatical' as 'if I were you ...' in the conditional sentence above. By contrast, other languages like Spanish or French have a well developed subjunctive form. Witness French 'le present du subjonctif':

il faut que je finisse (cf. je fini)
il faut que tu finisses (cf. tu finis)

English has nothing similar.

Boria wrote:Вот посмотрите:

http://webster.commnet.edu/grammar/conditional.htm
Some writers seem to think that the subjunctive mood is disappearing from English, but that's probably not true. We use the subjunctive all the time to accommodate this human urge to express possibility, the hypothetical, the imagined. (You can review the Verbs and Verbals section for further help understanding the Subjunctive Mood.) Frequently, conditional expressions require that we use were where we would otherwise have used another form of to be. The switch to were is not the only manifestation of the subjunctive in expressing the conditional, but it is the most common.

Well, I disagree. Again, please try to find a single verb besides 'to be' having the past subjunctive form.

Regarding the present subjunctive, British English speakers prefer modal+infitive where Americans might use a present subjunctive. E.g .:

Am. It's imperative he be present at the meeting
Br. It's imperative he should be present at the meeting.

Claiming, that English has a full-blown past subjunctive is similar to saying that Russian has seven cases (7th being the Vocative) as opposed to the usual six.

Rgds.
Pink Monkey
Уже с Приветом

Post by Pink Monkey »

Вспомнила старый анекдот английский. Как раз о subjunctive.
:mrgreen:

A businessman went to Boston for a convention. One night, when he finished early, he decided to find a restaurant that served scrod, a Massachusetts dish. He got into a taxi, and said to the driver: "Do you know any places around here where I can get scrod?" And the driver said: "Sure, I know a couple. But I must confess, I never heard that question in pluperfect subjunctive before" :mrgreen:
A bon entendeur, salut
Boria
Уже с Приветом

Post by Boria »

vc wrote:http://webster.commnet.edu/grammar/conditional.htm

Well, I disagree. [/quote]

Well, there is a web site where I got the quote. You can discuss it with them I guess to see who is right. I just remember the subject from my school. That's all.
BTW, here is another site on subjunctive mood:
http://www.artefact.cns.ru/english/gram_subjunctive.htm

I think the important thing is to understand how these moods are constructed grammatically.

Oh, these pages are even better:
http://www.ceafinney.com/subjunctive/
http://www.ceafinney.com/subjunctive/examples.html
Boria aka Катя
Boria
Уже с Приветом

Post by Boria »

А вот смотрите их даже упоминают вместе:

http://languages.refportal.ru/ref16614.html

http://alledu.eup.ru/Documents/2003-01-30/4AFA.asp
Boria aka Катя
vc
Уже с Приветом

Post by vc »

Boria wrote:http://webster.commnet.edu/grammar/conditional.htm

vc wrote:Well, I disagree.

Well, there is a web site where I got the quote. You can discuss it with them I guess to see who is right. I just remember the subject from my school. That's all.
BTW, here is another site on subjunctive mood:
http://www.artefact.cns.ru/english/gram_subjunctive.htm

I think the important thing is to understand how these moods are constructed grammatically.

Oh, these pages are even better:
http://www.ceafinney.com/subjunctive/
http://www.ceafinney.com/subjunctive/examples.html

Please be a good sport and kindly answer the following:

1. Can you operate with _facts_ instead of just supplying links to some web sites?

2. Did you find an example of the Past Subjunctive I'd asked you about (any verb in addition to 'to be') ?

3. Your failing to locate such a beast, how the situation with the Past Subjunctive in English is different form the Vocative case in Russian as regards the phenomena morphological implementation and usage frequency ?

Rgds.
Boria
Уже с Приветом

Post by Boria »

Please be a good sport and find somebody else for this discussion. I don't have any desire. You only accept your opinion. I accept it. I don't care. Subjunctive or conditional or "whatever -itional"..........
Maybe somebody else wants to carry on with you. I have to go clean leaves in my front yard.
Boria aka Катя
Doll
Уже с Приветом

Post by Doll »

А пААААААААчему это сослагательное наклонение померло в английском?
То,что оно не так часто употребляется, как изъявительное или повелительное....так это в любом языке. Как же тогда при почившим в бозе сослагательном перевести:
"Если бы не ты, я бы не смог добраться туда вовремя"
"Если бы он поспешил,то застал бы нас"

Будь я на твоем месте, я бв не согласился"
и пр и пр и пр
А?
------
Петит, они сейчас в книжках по-разному обзывают: и сослагательное наклонения и условные предложения. Суть одна и та же.
\\\\\
Товарищи, кто мне,темной,объяснит ,что такое Past Subjunctive? Никогда не встречала.
Pink Monkey
Уже с Приветом

Post by Pink Monkey »

Doll wrote:Товарищи, кто мне,темной,объяснит ,что такое Past Subjunctive? Никогда не встречала.

Это как раз пример из моего анекдота. :mrgreen:
A bon entendeur, salut
Doll
Уже с Приветом

Post by Doll »

Петит, я че-т не въеду в анекдот. Разъясни товарищу (мне). Что этот водитель не слышал?
Doll
Уже с Приветом

Post by Doll »

vc wrote:
3. Your failing to locate such a beast, how the situation with the Past Subjunctive in English is different form the Vocative case in Russian as regards the phenomena morphological implementation and usage frequency ?

Rgds.

Народ, а кто мне переведет это? Про какого зверя толкуют? Ну плиззззззззз,переведите! Петиточка, ты чтоль выручи! Не въедууууууууууу... :pain1:
Pink Monkey
Уже с Приветом

Post by Pink Monkey »

Doll wrote:Петит, я че-т не въеду в анекдот. Разъясни товарищу (мне). Что этот водитель не слышал?

Хе-хе. Pluperfect subjunctive это и есть past subjunctive. Бизнесмен спрашивал о рыбном блюде - scrod, а водитель решил, что он спрашивает, где бы тут можно по***хаться - to get screwed - get scrod. Хотя, конечно, это просто шутка, а не серьезное лингвистическое заявление. :)
A bon entendeur, salut
Doll
Уже с Приветом

Post by Doll »

Ой ты ,Господиииииииии, а я этот скрод и так и эдак вертела.Спасип.Правда. там про сослагательное- ни гу-гу.
Теперича,будь ласка, Петит, ну переведи ты вон ту цитату,что я чуть выше привела. Шо там твой анекдот! Вот где я читала-читала-перечитывала, даже вслух пыталась самой себе перевести. Кроме бредоватости- ничего. Старею,наверное. :D
Pink Monkey
Уже с Приветом

Post by Pink Monkey »

Doll wrote:
vc wrote:

Rgds.

Народ, а кто мне переведет это? Про какого зверя толкуют? Ну плиззззззззз,переведите! Петиточка, ты чтоль выручи! Не въедууууууууууу... :pain1:

А я что... я сама обалдела. :) vc зверя какого-то локаторами ищет :mrgreen: . А какого - не знаю. Может тигра, а может и лева. :mrgreen: Еще и хвоста какого-то вокативного приплели (с) почти "За двумя зайцами"... Кстати, звательный падеж есть в украинском. А в русском я знаю парочку примеров - Отче, Боже, Господи, Иисусе, Христосе. Иногда в старом русском можно встретить Друже, старче, человече... А к чему был этот падеж здесь "приплетен", я не поняла...
A bon entendeur, salut
Doll
Уже с Приветом

Post by Doll »

PetitChaton wrote:
Doll wrote:
vc wrote:

Rgds.

А я что... я сама обалдела. :) vc зверя какого-то локаторами ищет :mrgreen: . А какого - не знаю. Может тигра, а может и лева. :mrgreen: Еще и хвоста какого-то вокативного приплели (с) почти "За двумя зайцами"... Кстати, звательный падеж есть в украинском. А в русском я знаю парочку примеров - Отче, Боже, Господи, Иисусе, Христосе. Иногда в старом русском можно встретить Друже, старче, человече... А к чему был этот падеж здесь "приплетен", я не поняла...

Уфффффффффф,ну значица, не усе еще у меня того...этого...хахаааааааааа
а я щас попробую. Во,смех будет.
Смотри:
Тебе не удается поместить такого зверя, каким образом ситуация с Прошедшим (?????????????????????? Нэмае такого!!!!прим автора) Сослагательным в английском отличается от звательного падежа (намаэ такого почтиииииииии!!! Устаревшие формы.прим автора) в русском .......(дальше непереводимая игра слов хахааааааааа).......аааааааа, наверное.....в отношении явлений морфологической .....(чего? типа значения,что ли? нЫ знаю. Прим автора)....чего-то там....и юююююююююююююсаджжжжжжжж фриквееенсииииииии.(Усе, ржу,не могу).....пардон .....частоты употребления
(не будем про ошибки)
Фуххххххххххх! А,Петит? Как тебе? Сдохнуть! Это тебе не рыба скрод. Тута высокая материя! :D :D :D
Автора на сцену!
VC, знаешь, учебников по грамматике за свою жизнь кучу прочитала, но такого веселого чтива- ни разу. Аж прослезилась. :D

Return to “Английский язык”