Советы по прохождению интервью

В областях, не связанных с IT
jj
Уже с Приветом

Советы по прохождению интервью

Post by jj »

In the Days Before the Interview

1. Draw a line down the center of a piece of paper. On the left side, make a bulleted list of what the employer is looking for based on the job posting. On the right side, make a bulleted list of the qualities you possess that fit those requirements.
2. Research the company, the industry and the competition.
3. Prepare your 60-second personal statement: Your answer to the, "Tell me about yourself," question.
4. Write at least five success stories to answer behavioral interview questions ("Tell me about a time when…" or "Give me an example of a time…").
5. List 10 questions to ask the interviewer about the job, the company and the industry.
6. Research salary data and determine your worth.
7. Determine your salary needs based on your living expenses -- what is your bottom line?
8. Get permission from your references to use their names.

Before You Go to the Interview

1. Do you look professional? Check yourself in the mirror; part of your confidence will come from looking good.
2. Carry these items to the interview:
- Several copies of your resume on quality paper.
- A copy of your references.
- A pad of paper on which to take notes (notes are optional).
- Directions to the interview site.
3. Prepare answers to the 10 most common interview questions:
- Tell me about yourself.
- Why did you leave or are you leaving your last position?
- What do you know about this company?
- What are your goals?
- What are your strengths and weaknesses?
- Why do you want to work for this company?
- What has been your most significant achievement?
- How would your last boss and colleagues describe you?
- Why should we hire you?
- What are your salary expectations?

Upon Arrival

1. Arrive early -- enter the building 10 minutes before your appointment.
2. Review your prepared stories and answers.
3. Go to the restroom and check your appearance one last time.
4. Announce yourself to the receptionist in a professional manner.
5. Stand and greet your interviewer with a hearty -- not bone-crushing -- handshake.
6. Smile and look into the interviewer's eyes.

During the Interview

1. Try to focus on the points you have prepared without sounding rehearsed or stiff.
2. Relax and enjoy the conversation. Learn what you can about the company.
3. Ask questions and listen; read between the lines.
4. At the conclusion, thank the interviewer and determine the next steps.
5. Ask for the interviewer's business card so you can send a follow-up letter.

After the Interview

1. As soon as possible, write down what you are thinking and feeling.
2. Later in the day, look at what you wrote and assess how you did.
3. Write a follow-up thank-you letter, reminding the interviewer of your qualities.
jj
Уже с Приветом

Post by jj »

How to answer interview questions

1. Tell me a little about yourself. What is your major strength?
Talk about your experience, qualifications, and accomplishments, not your childhood, family, or hobbies.

2. Why do you want to work here?
Talk about the interesting details of the job and why they fascinate you (do some research on the company).

3. What qualities do you have that will apply to this job?
List your past relevant experience, showing how you can use these skills in the position that you are interviewing for.

4. You seem to switch jobs a lot. Why?
Some possible explanations are job stagnation, demotions due to downsizing, or career exploration.

5. Why have you been out of the workforce for so long?
Be honest if you were home raising the children. Explain that since they are older, or that you have qualified child care, you are now comfortable returning to work.

6. Tell me about your current ( or last ) job.
List your duties and responsibilities, and also highlight your accomplishments.

7. Why are you leaving that job?
Employers ask this question to determine your career direction and level of ambition. Job stagnation, no chance for advancement, or in an unrelated field to your training are all good reason.

8. What did you like most about that job? Least?
Talk about your responsibilities, challenges, accomplishment, and the people. Don’t bad-mouth the job or your ex-boss. Explain that you’d want more responsibilities. It shows initiative.

9. Have you ever been fired from a job, and why?
Explain that you usually get along really well with everyone, but you couldn’t seem to work things out with your ex-employer.

10. What do you do to relax after work?
Don’t brag about dangerous hobbies. They suggest a reckless behavior, and might cause absences from work. Highlight your interests, because companies really don’t want an employee that has no life outside work ( they burn out too soon ).

11. What is your greatest weakness?
Focus on a work ( not character ) issue, and turn it into a positive, such as being a workaholic or extremely organized.

12. What motivates you to do a good job?
A good answer to this interview question might be, “having responsibilities and being acknowledged when the job is done right.”

13. Are you at your best when working alone or in a group?
The best answer is both. It shows that you enjoy working as a part of a team and working independently.

14. How much were you paid at your last job? What do you expect to make here? Be honest about what you have made before, but try not to set an amount for this job. You might say: “ I have no set salary in mind. What salary is usually offered to someone with my qualifications?’ If they persist, name a ball-park figure like, “somewhere in the twenties,” or “somewhere in the upper thirties". Find out what you're worth at Salary.com

15. Do you have any questions?
This is a common interview question to see just how interested in this positions you are. Some things you may want to ask are: What are the typical duties of this job? How many people work in this particular department? Who are the people I’d be working with, and who would I be working under? If you were to offer me this job, where could I expect to be in five years? How long should it take me to get my feet on the ground and become productive?
jj
Уже с Приветом

Post by jj »

The Second Interview

Good news: You've been invited back for a second interview. You did well on your first interview and followed up with a well thought-out thank-you letter. You are excited when you're asked back to meet with the director, vice president and marketing team, but you are also nervous.

What to Expect: "Congratulations on the second interview. This means you are considered an excellent candidate for the position. Second interviews vary with each company. Since you're going to meet with different people, you can expect to be asked some of the same questions, beginning with 'Tell me about yourself.'"
"They now know you have the skills and will be looking at your personality and cultural fit. Just go in there and sell yourself."
"The first interview focuses on whether you are right for the company, and the second determines if you are the best candidate for the position. The questions may be more specific to the job and you may also get some 'What would you do if...' types of questions."

What to Ask: "This is a wonderful opportunity to find out about working for this company -- the pros and cons. Ask questions like, 'What is the best thing about working for this company/boss?' and 'What qualities does it take to succeed in this position/company?' Remember you are interviewing them as much as they are interviewing you."
"I would go to the interview with five to 10 questions to ask about the company. My best questions come from the information I hear them talking about. I take notes while they are talking so I can remember what to ask."

What to Wear:
"If you can't afford another suit, try a different shirt or tie with the same suit."
"Continue to dress to impress. After all, you are not one of them yet. Even if it means wearing the same outfit, look sharp. It's important to feel good about yourself."
You take note of the advice. Since fit seems to be an important factor, you should compare your qualifications with the job description -- from the company's standpoint as well as your own. Do some research on salary and some thinking about your benefits requirements as well.

Return to “Карьера и Работа”