Резюме на критику (Financial or Business Analyst)

В областях, не связанных с IT
Drakonchik
Новичок

Резюме на критику (Financial or Business Analyst)

Post by Drakonchik »

Здрасте всем

У меня дилемма с поиском работи, незнаю что делать. Исходные данные BA Psychology, МBA не топ 50, ехperience работы в маленькой компании, в которой я перевела все books из бумажного вида на QuickBooks. Потом переехала в другой штат, и после безуспешных поисков работы, устроилась на Еxecutive Assistant, без каких либо видов на повышение. Хотелось бы стать или Financial or Business Analyst, ехperience прямого нет, но думаю с работой справлюсь без проблемм. На данний момент усиленно изучаю SQL. Не мог бы кто-нибудь более опытний посоветовать что делать. Брать ли какие-то ещё classes, или переписать резюме (enclosed) Ещё тут рассказивали что немешает принести на interview какой-нибудь analysis, нету ли каких либо examples на которих бы можно было бaзироватса так как я сама никогда ничего outside of MBA такого не составляла.

SKILLS

Leading software packages (MS Office, Windows XP, Adobe Photoshop, QuickBooks, etc.) Statistical Analysis, SQL, Accounting and Financial Management, Marketing/Brand Management, Public Presentations, Customer Communications

EMPLOYMENT

Analyst - 2000- 2003
Solet, Inc
Denver, CO

* Re-organised company's business processes
* Gathered and analysed sales and marketing data
* Created ad-hoc reports
* Recommemded procedural improvements
* Standardized business practices among various business units
* Created financial forecasts and reports
* Made international shipping arrangements
* Maintained the books and created accounting and financial reports
* Communicated with clients and vendors accross the US and abroad regarding all issues

Program Services Coordinator – 1999-2000
Muscular Dystrophy Association
Denver, CO

* Made marketing presentations at business meetings, conventions, health fairs, and schools
* Created chapter newsletter – writing articles, typesetting, maintaining distribution database
* Assisted clients and medical professionals in a clinical environment
* Organized clinical visits for clients with special needs
* Resolved disputes between clients, medical vendors, and insurance representatives
* Organized and conducted a Summer Camp program – interviewing, recruiting and training counselors, raising donations, supervising day to day operations, other managerial duties
* Prepared department budget

International Accounts Manager –1996-1998
Baltic Trade Corporation
Denver, CO

* Researched new product opportunities in international markets and across the United States
* Conducted marketing opportunity analysis, and made arrangements for new product purchases
* Negotiated contracts
* Made international shipment arrangements
* Dealt with customs related issues
* Established business relationships with distributors across the United States
* Conducted business correspondence

EDUCATION:
2000-2001 University of Colorado at Denver
Completed MBA degree - accelerated 11 months program

1994-1998 University of Colorado at Denver
B.A. Psychology, minor Biology
Honors: Psy Chi - Member of National Psychology Honor Society

LANGUAGES: English and Russian

REFERENCES: Available upon request
Life's a bitch and then you die
Sabina
Уже с Приветом

Re: pokritikuyte pozhalusta

Post by Sabina »

Drakonchik wrote:Потом переехала в другой штат, и после безуспешных поисков работы, устроилась на Еxecutive Assistant, без каких либо видов на повышение. Хотелось бы стать или Financial or Business Analyst, ехperience прямого нет, но думаю с работой справлюсь без проблемм.

Посмотрела вакансии на Monstertrak в Denver area, вот что первое попало под руку. Может вас заинтересует
-----------------------------------------------------
FIRSTBANK HOLDING COMPANY
MANAGEMENT TRAINING PROGRAM
Full Time Entry Level

Number Date Type Wage

1212029 01/26/2004 Full Time Entry Level Salary to be determined

Start Openings Location Hours

ASAP Several Lakewood, CO Schedule to be arranged

Company Description
1ST Bank is Colorado's largest locally owned bank holding company with over $6 billion in assets. 1ST Bank employees hold majority ownership in the company. With over 100 locations in Colorado and plans for expansion, we offer excellent employment opportunities for motivated and hard working individuals.
Job Qualifications
We require a bachelor's degree in business, course work in accounting and finance, and a minimum GPA of 3.0. Previous banking experience is not required. To apply for the Management Trainee position, please submit your resume along with a complete copy of your college transcripts
Job Description
Come join our management team! FirstBank recruits quality candidates for our entry-level Management Training program. As a Management Trainee, you can expect to move into a challenging management position within a short period of time. You will have immediate responsibility and excellent advancement opportunities because we believe that the best way to build a strong management team is to promote from within. Training Our Management Training Program lasts six to eight months, with promotion to Banking Officer upon successful completion of the program. 1ST Bank officers are involved in all areas of bank management including lending, financial analysis, customer service, operations and personnel management, and bank growth and profitability. Compensation The starting annual salary for Denver metro and front-range locations is $38,000. It is $48,000 (cost of living adjustment) for our mountain resort communities. Opportunities include excellent benefits, an employee stock ownership plan, a 401K plan and an incentive bonus plan.

How to Apply SEND RESUME
When to Apply ASAP
Contact Personnel Department
FIRSTBANK HOLDING COMPANY
OF COLORADO
12345 West Colfax Avenue
Lakewood, CO 80215
303-235-1209
303-235-1047 FAX
personnel@efirstbank.com
tolikk
Уже с Приветом

Post by tolikk »

Drakonchik wrote:
What about Objective?

SKILLS

Leading software packages (MS Office, Windows XP, Adobe Photoshop, QuickBooks, etc.) Statistical Analysis, SQL, Accounting and Financial Management, Marketing/Brand Management, Public Presentations, Customer Communications
You might want to use bullets here as well. It also probably better to use verbs in your skill description) I noticed in one of your job you did dispute resolution. It is a GREAT skill! You might want to emphasize it here

EMPLOYMENT

Analyst - 2000- 2003
Solet, Inc
Denver, CO

* Re-organised company's business processes
* Gathered and analysed sales and marketing data
* Created ad-hoc reports
* Recommemded procedural improvements (results?)
* Created financial forecasts and reports
* Made international shipping arrangements
* Maintained the books and created accounting and financial reports
* Communicated with clients and vendors accross the US and abroad regarding all issues
You might want to think about making this description to sound stronger with more "specific" action words. Something like: performed statistical analysis..., improved..., which resulted in $,% cost reduction/savings/etc

Program Services Coordinator – 1999-2000
Muscular Dystrophy Association
Denver, CO

* Made marketing presentations at business meetings, conventions, health fairs, and schools
* Created chapter newsletter – writing articles, typesetting, maintaining distribution database
* Assisted clients and medical professionals in a clinical environment (assisted in doing what?)
EDUCATION:
Completed MBA degree - accelerated 11 months program (Why use word "completed"?)
:
:

I would put Education on top right after Objective. Your degree is recent and it's a very strong part of your professional background, so there is no reason to put it at the end.

I assume that you are a US citizen. I would put "US Citizen" on the top if there is something that could indicate that you were born outside of US (like a name, or anything else in the resume).
Disclaimer:
I'm not really a Career advisor... I just play one on this forum..:)
Drakonchik
Новичок

Post by Drakonchik »

Посмотрела вакансии на Монстертрак в Денвер ареа, вот что первое попало под руку. Может вас заинтересует
-----------------------------------------------------
ФИРСТБАНК ХОЛДИНГ ЦОМПАНЫ
МАНАГЕМЕНТ ТРАИНИНГ ПРОГРАМ
Фулл Тиме Ентры Левел

Спасибо, но я уже не в Denver a in Scottsdale, AZ
Eden
Уже с Приветом

Post by Eden »

Drakonchik wrote:
EDUCATION:
Completed MBA degree - accelerated 11 months program

1994-1998 University of Colorado at Denver
B.A. Psychology, minor Biology

I would have said:

EDUCATION:
2000 -2001 Master of Business Administration
University of Colorado at Denver

1994-1998 Bachelor of Arts (Psychology)
University of Colorado at Denver

Looks better :)
And I would have put it at the top of the page, since you are looking for a job based on education, not experience!

This one belongs in achievements and awards, not education (i think)
Drakonchik
Новичок

Post by Drakonchik »

И воулд хаве саид:

ЕДУЦАТИОН:
2000 -2001 Мастер оф Бусинесс Администратион
Университы оф Цолорадо ат Денвер

1994-1998 Бачелор оф Артс (Псычологы)
Университы оф Цолорадо ат Денвер

Я примерно так и делала, но меня все спрашвиали когда ya MBA закончу, и если я еше в школе. A 11 месяцев пишу для emphasis что accelerated program.
Also, a recruiter recommended that I put education in the end, since its not that recent.

Do you think I should cut down the lenght of the resume, I didn't want to bullet point the skills in order to not take up much space
Drakonchik
Новичок

Post by Drakonchik »

Sabina,

I was just wandering, how do you find vacancies na Monstertrak, I tried, and its asking me to enter a name of the school, and since I am in Az now, and finished school in CO, I can't log in. Is there a special way? Thank you for your help.
tolikk
Уже с Приветом

Post by tolikk »

Drakonchik wrote:
Я примерно так и делала, но меня все спрашвиали когда ya MBA закончу, и если я еше в школе. A 11 месяцев пишу для emphasis что accelerated program.
Also, a recruiter recommended that I put education in the end, since its not that recent.

Do you think I should cut down the lenght of the resume, I didn't want to bullet point the skills in order to not take up much space

2001 looks pretty recent to me. The time when you want to put your education at the end is when you graduated let's say 20 years ago and/or have so much experience that it is much more relevant to your qualifications than education.

If you put just the year of your graduation rather than the "from-to" format, then no one should be asking you if you are still in school.

Since you have a pretty good length experience, there is nothing wrong with having a 2-page resume. It's much more important to have a resume that is easy to read than to try to cramp it on one page. Having bullets in your skills, rather than just having it as one sentence will make it look better and easy for reading.

Also, "References available" line can be left out: everyone knows that everyone has them :) .
Disclaimer:
Drakonchik
Новичок

Post by Drakonchik »

2001 looks pretty recent to me. The time when you want to put your education at the end is when you graduated let's say 20 years ago and/or have so much experience that it is much more relevant to your qualifications than education.

If you put just the year of your graduation rather than the "from-to" format, then no one should be asking you if you are still in school.

Since you have a pretty good length experience, there is nothing wrong with having a 2-page resume. It's much more important to have a resume that is easy to read than to try to cramp it on one page. Having bullets in your skills, rather than just having it as one sentence will make it look better and easy for reading.

Also, "References available" line can be left out: everyone knows that everyone has them :) .

Thank you for your critique. I really appreciate it. If you could answer a few more questions:
1) objective - I did not want to include this as I mostly apply on monster, and its going to very different companies, can I put something general like "Entry level Analyst position", but I don't want to limit my opportunities.

2) How do I apply for entry level, should I get rid of some experience?

3) I am not including my recent job, as it is a demotion for me, how should I explain lapse in employment?

Thank you for your help again. :)
tolikk
Уже с Приветом

Post by tolikk »

Drakonchik wrote:
Thank you for your critique. I really appreciate it. If you could answer a few more questions:
1) objective - I did not want to include this as I mostly apply on monster, and its going to very different companies, can I put something general like "Entry level Analyst position", but I don't want to limit my opportunities.

2) How do I apply for entry level, should I get rid of some experience?

3) I am not including my recent job, as it is a demotion for me, how should I explain lapse in employment?

Thank you for your help again. :)

1. Opinions on objective do differ even among "professional career consultants". But the bottom line is if you do put an objective then it has to be very well written. I think you should modify your objective according to the requirements in a particular ad. You have an MBA so "entry level analyst" IS very limiting. Also I would definitely widen my job search beyond Monster:
local papers, local business journals, cold contacts, professional organizations in your field, NETWORKING...

2. If you do apply for an entry-level position then you might want to modify your resume accordingly. May be have less bullets on your previous job descriptions, re-word some of your accomplishments so they would not make you overqualified.

3. If I understand it correctly you only have been in your "demoted" recent position just since last year. If that's the case then I think you have two options (again that will depend you the actual positions):

One-you keep it off your resume. The resume will look OK since it shows that you worked till 2003 and it's only beginning of 2004. You will have to be ready to explain on the interview what you have been doing since you left your last job.

Two- you list it on and try to word you duties in a way that it will not sound below your skills. This has a potential flaw, as it will raise a question of why you are looking for a different job if you just started your present one.

If you keep it off and they ask to explain the laps you can say that you have been taking some courses (including self-taught). Other good way to explain is that you were trying to do some consulting but realize that's not for your. Every employer knows how tough consulting is and that it is not for everyone. It's doubtful that you will be asked to name your clients because that could easily be a confidential matter and you can state that if they indeed ask. You can say just in general what type of things were you doing and that's should be enough.

Hope this helps.
Disclaimer:
Drakonchik
Новичок

Post by Drakonchik »

Also I would definitely widen my job search beyond Monster:
local papers, local business journals, cold contacts, professional organizations in your field, NETWORKING...

I have tried that for a while, I went to every recruiter in the area, have tried newspapers, and it seems that all the adds are on careerbuilder right now, so I just search there, professional organizations- since I don't have a "profession" as of yet, I am not quite sure where to look, or what to try for. If you have any you could recommend, I would really appreciate it. In terms of cold calling, I am not quite sure how this works either, since most people just send you to HR, where they just tell you to fax a resume in. In terms of Networking, i am new in the state, and don't know too many people, and at this point am just lost in terms of who to contact.
Natusya
Уже с Приветом

Post by Natusya »

Drakonchik, Я Вам отправила личное сообшение.
tolikk
Уже с Приветом

Post by tolikk »

Drakonchik wrote:I have tried that for a while, I went to every recruiter in the area, have tried newspapers, and it seems that all the adds are on careerbuilder right now, so I just search there, professional organizations- since I don't have a "profession" as of yet, I am not quite sure where to look, or what to try for. If you have any you could recommend, I would really appreciate it. In terms of cold calling, I am not quite sure how this works either, since most people just send you to HR, where they just tell you to fax a resume in. In terms of Networking, i am new in the state, and don't know too many people, and at this point am just lost in terms of who to contact.

May be you could try this: figure out what kind of companies, industries you could be working. After establishing the industry find professional organizations in that industry's field. Then contact that organization. A lot of them have career programs. Contact them. They could point you out to the right contacts. Someone in that organization might work for the company that deals with the certain financial company. And that someone might be able to refer you... All you need is a name of a person. Then you contact that person and see if he/she has any information you can use. You don't ask that person for a job! You tell him/her about yourself and ask if he/she can give you the name of one or two people who might be interested in the person with your qualifications.
This is all part of networking.

OK, you are new to the area. Do you have a doctor? Dentist? Barber? Ask them for contacts. You can get involved in the community and get contacts that way. Synagogue? Church? Same thing: you need contacts.

Cold contacts. Yes it is hard and in most cases you get footballed to HR. But you don’t need most cases - you only need one! So you keep doing it. Will it bring success? Hey, you never know (just like NY lotto, but with higher odds :lol: ).
You can try to write “cold” letters instead of calling. Don’t write to HR. Try to find out who the hiring manager is. Someone once told me that if you don’t know who the hiring manager is, you write to the president. You can send the “cold” letter without your resume, but the letter has to be a little more than just a few lines like in a cover letter. There is a chance that the person on the receiving end of that letter might get interested. And even if it gets passed along to HR, it might make a difference since it will not come from the street but gets passed from within.

Just keep working on it and be optimistic.
Disclaimer:
Natusya
Уже с Приветом

Post by Natusya »

WOW, Tolikk.

Спасибо за очень интересные и содержательные посты !
Last edited by Natusya on 17 Feb 2004 22:01, edited 1 time in total.
Drakonchik
Новичок

Post by Drakonchik »

tolikk wrote:May be you could try this:
:

Thank you, you are a great help. I will continue trying, and hope I will be successful soon.
xm

Post by xm »

поишите в осле книгу Resume and Cover Letter Secrets
это лучшее что я встретил

или скиньте мне в приват e-mail - вышлю-500K
Natusya
Уже с Приветом

Post by Natusya »

xm wrote:поишите в осле книгу Resume and Cover Letter Secrets

Я Вам отправила личное сообщение
Natusya
Уже с Приветом

Post by Natusya »

xm wrote:поишите в осле книгу Resume and Cover Letter Secrets

Спасибо, уже и получила
Drakonchik
Новичок

Post by Drakonchik »

How about this one?

ACCOMPLISHMENTS
- Streamlined company’s business processes
- Cut operating costs by 10% in 6 months
- Based on my recommendations, facilitated sales increase by 15% annually
- Automated accounting procedures
- Increased Summer Camp attendance by 15%
- Expedited completion of projects under budget and ahead of deadlines

SKILLS
Computer: SQL, Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, QuickBooks, Adobe Photoshop, etc.
General: Accounting, Financial Management, Marketing/Brand Management, International Business Communications, Public Presentations, Dispute Resolution

EDUCATION:
M.B.A. (2001) University of Colorado at Denver.

B.A. Psychology (1998) University of Colorado at Denver.

Honors: MBA Scholarship
Psy Chi - Member of National Psychology Honor Society

EMPLOYMENT HISTORY
Analyst - 2000- 2003
Solet, Inc - Denver, CO

* Gathered and analyzed sales and marketing data and presented procedural recommendations to upper management
* Created accounting and financial forecasts and reports
* Streamlined international shipping arrangements
* Communicated with clients and vendors across the US and abroad regarding all issues

Program Services Coordinator - 1999-2000
Muscular Dystrophy Association - Denver, CO

* Made marketing presentations at business meetings, conventions, health fairs, etc.
* Created chapter newsletter
* Organized clinical visits for clients with special needs
* Resolved disputes between clients, medical vendors, and insurance representatives
* Organized and conducted a Summer Camp program
* Prepared department budget

International Accounts Manager -1996-1998
Baltic Trade Corporation - Denver, CO

* Researched new product opportunities in international markets and across the United States, conducted marketing research, and helped introduce new products
* Negotiated contracts
* Made international shipment arrangements
* Dealt with customs related issues
* Established business relationships with distributors across the United States

LANGUAGES: English and Russian

REFERENCES: Available upon request
tolikk
Уже с Приветом

Post by tolikk »

Drakonchik wrote:How about this one?

ACCOMPLISHMENTS
- Streamlined company’s business processes
- Cut operating costs by 10% in 6 months
- Based on my recommendations, facilitated sales increase by 15% annually It's a whole sentence. I would just leave: facilitated sales increase by 15% annually -
Automated accounting procedures
- Increased Summer Camp attendance by 15%
- Expedited completion of projects under budget and ahead of deadlines

SKILLS
Computer: SQL, Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, QuickBooks, Adobe Photoshop, etc.
General: Accounting, Financial Management, Marketing/Brand Management, International Business Communications, Public Presentations, Dispute Resolution

EDUCATION:
M.B.A. (2001) University of Colorado at Denver.

B.A. Psychology (1998) University of Colorado at Denver.

Honors: MBA Scholarship
Psy Chi - Member of National Psychology Honor Society
:
:

I think you should put Education on the very top, before accomplishments and skills. That way it would stand out more.
I am not sure having accomplishments and skill as two separate "subjects" is a good idea. If you were doing "skills based" resume and not "chronological", then it would be fine. In skills based resume you highlight your skills, accomplishments, etc. And in the skills you will basically put all the strong stuff from your job descriptions. And in the end of your resume you would put Experience with only dates, job title and the company.

If you go with the "chronological" type then accomplishments can be part of the job description.
Now, your skills part is still not standing out. Again, I would suggest bullets. Plus, I am a firm believer that unless you have unique computer skills, you don’t put them on. At this day and age everyone applying for most professional positions is expected to know Excel, Word, Access, PP

Honors I think should be at the end. Also, is MBA scholarship an honor?

Why do you have years of graduation in parentheses? I would keep it in the same format as years of employment.
Disclaimer:
Drakonchik
Новичок

Post by Drakonchik »

I tried to incorporate ideas from different suggestions. Do you think it may be beneficial to do an accomplishments resume. I just thought that a combination may be better, since there aren't that many accomplishments, more job duties.
tolikk
Уже с Приветом

Post by tolikk »

Drakonchik wrote:I tried to incorporate ideas from different suggestions. Do you think it may be beneficial to do an accomplishments resume. I just thought that a combination may be better, since there aren't that many accomplishments, more job duties.

Well, after looking over it again, it actually looks fine with the accomplishments separated like you did :oops: . I would still consider to "reformat" the skills.

You might want to have both types of resume on hand: one in the present "chronological" style and another in the "skills" style. Then you decide which type to send based on the particular position.
Disclaimer:
FF
Уже с Приветом

Post by FF »

Ваша позиция "аналист" -зучит как-то неопределенно. Аналисты всякие бывают. -финансовые, бизнес, програм и.т.д
Так же не пишите ваши обязанности в прошедшем. Вместо например created - пишите creating, reported -reporting и.т.д
Резюме у вас лысое -ни цифр, ни данных конкретных а так, перечисления и все. Например вы пишете что делали форкасты. Вы вправду их делали? Тогда нужно написать какие форкасты ( budget, cash flow, margin, revenue, expenses ....) и другие финансовые показатели (если вы ищете фин или бизнес аналитика) плюс указывайте обьем форкастов- на департмент, на всю компанию, на страну и.т.д а так же период. Ведь есть форкаст 6Х6, есть 3Х9, есть на весь год , вобщем вы цыферок добавьте чтобы реально смотрелось. Пишите конкретно.
Ваша вторая по счету должность никак не стыкуется с предыдущей. В резюме все должности Ювсе обязанности должны состыковаться и быть связанны с искомой , той что в обжектив. А у вас даже обжектива нету. Естли в обжектив стоит фин аналитик то перепишите все обязанности с учетом фин аналитика т.е. выпишите только то что имеет отношение к финансам и бизнесу а остальное уберите. Вся хитрость написания резюме не в перечислении всех обязанностей а в указании только тех которые имеют прямое отношение к искомой должности. Усекли?
кто хочет- тот ищет возможностей, а кто не хочет - тот ищет причины.
Drakonchik
Новичок

Post by Drakonchik »

alex55 wrote:Ваша позиция "аналист" -зучит как-то неопределенно. Аналисты всякие бывают. -финансовые, бизнес, програм и.т.д
Так же не пишите ваши обязанности в прошедшем. Вместо например цреатед - пишите цреатинг, репортед -репортинг и.т.д
Резюме у вас лысое -ни цифр, ни данных конкретных а так, перечисления и все. Например вы пишете что делали форкасты. Вы вправду их делали? Тогда нужно написать какие форкасты ( будгет, цаш флов, маргин, ревенуе, ехпенсес ....) и другие финансовые показатели (если вы ищете фин или бизнес аналитика) плюс указывайте обьем форкастов- на департмент, на всю компанию, на страну и.т.д а так же период. Ведь есть форкаст 6Х6, есть 3Х9, есть на весь год , вобщем вы цыферок добавьте чтобы реально смотрелось. Пишите конкретно.
Ваша вторая по счету должность никак не стыкуется с предыдущей. В резюме все должности Ювсе обязанности должны состыковаться и быть связанны с искомой , той что в обжектив. А у вас даже обжектива нету. Естли в обжектив стоит фин аналитик то перепишите все обязанности с учетом фин аналитика т.е. выпишите только то что имеет отношение к финансам и бизнесу а остальное уберите. Вся хитрость написания резюме не в перечислении всех обязанностей а в указании только тех которые имеют прямое отношение к искомой должности. Усекли?

Спасибо, но если вы читали мои предыдушие посты то вы бы там заметили что я писала о том что у меня реального experience нету по этому и писать особо нечего. Позиции я пишу какие были, если не напишу, будет вопрос а чем я занималась все остальные года. Objective я или меняю to match каждую позицию, или не пишу что-бы не сужать круг работ на которих могу апплаить. А циферок если нету, то где я их достану, с дерева сниму?

Return to “Карьера и Работа”