Собака лает - караван идёт.

Post by M. Ridcully »

Как перевести?
thinker
Уже с Приветом

Re: Собака лает - караван идёт.

Post by thinker »

один из вариантов: beating a dead horse
All rights reserved, all wrongs revenged.
blanko27
Уже с Приветом

Post by blanko27 »

Интересно, я не знал, но вот нашелся в Oxford Dictionary of Proverbs почти дословный перевод: 8O
DOGS bark, but the caravan goes on

Quot. 1956 is a humorous inversion of the proverb. In most instances of this proverb, caravan is in its original sense of ‘a company of people travelling together in the desert’, but quot. 1956 uses the ‘mobile home’ sense.

1891 J. L. KIPLING Beast & Man in India ix. 252 ‘The dog barks but the elephant moves on’ is sometimes said to indicate the superiority of the great to popular clamour, but the best form of the phrase is, ‘Though the dog may bark the caravan (kafila) moves on.’
1924 C. K. SCOTT MONCRIEFF tr. Proust’s Within Budding Grove I. 45 In the words of a fine Arab proverb, ‘The dogs may bark; the caravan goes on!’.. Its effect was great, the proverb being familiar to us already. It had taken the place, that year, among people who ‘really counted’, of ‘He who sows the wind shall reap the whirlwind.’
1930 Time 4 July 17 I was struggling to explain the situation to an old Moor. .. After thinking it over he murmured: ‘Dogs bark but the caravan goes on.’
1956 D. SMITH Hundred & One Dalmatians xiv. The shut-in Romany dogs heard them [the Dalmatians] and shook the caravans in their efforts to get out. .. ‘The caravans bark but the dogs move on,’ remarked Pongo, when he felt they were out of danger.
2002 Spectator 6 July 28 The dogs bark, but the caravan moves on. ICC, Kyoto, Arafat, Iraq.. early chapters in a long story. If you want to be part of it, join America. If you want to impede it, join a terrorist group.
...а мы такой компанией, возьмем, да и припремся к Элис!
Alexander Troyansky
Уже с Приветом

Post by Alexander Troyansky »

M. Ridcully wrote:Как перевести?
The moon does not heed the barking of dogs
I would hope that a wise white man with the richness of his experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a latina female who hasn't lived that life
Think_Different
Уже с Приветом

Post by Think_Different »

thinker wrote:один из вариантов: beating a dead horse
нет. здесь смысл другой.
blanko27
Уже с Приветом

Post by blanko27 »

SweetSugar wrote: 20 May 2017 07:32..[Moderated]я так was were правило освоила за день буквально.
:) Если вы освоили was were, тогда ответьте на эти вопросы:
* Would you say a number of boxes was sent or a number of boxes were sent?
* Would you say the number of boxes are small or the number of boxes is small?
* Would you say a low number of crimes was committed or a low number of crimes were committed?
* Would you say the number of tasks on my to-do list are small or the number of tasks on my to-do list is small?
Last edited by Айва on 10 Feb 2018 08:47, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Спам
SweetSugar
Новичок

Post by SweetSugar »

ахахаха это экзамен?)
Alexander Troyansky
Уже с Приветом

Post by Alexander Troyansky »

blanko27 wrote: 27 May 2017 22:31
SweetSugar wrote: 20 May 2017 07:32..[Moderated]я так was were правило освоила за день буквально.
:) Если вы освоили was were, тогда ответьте на эти вопросы:
* Would you say a number of boxes was sent or a number of boxes were sent?
a number of boxes were sent
* Would you say the number of boxes are small or the number of boxes is small?
the number of boxes is small
* Would you say a low number of crimes was committed or a low number of crimes were committed?
a low number of crimes were committed
* Would you say the number of tasks on my to-do list are small or the number of tasks on my to-do list is small?
the number of tasks on my to-do list is small

A number of чего-то не в единственном указывает, что чего-то несколько, т.е ARE. The number of чего-то - указывает на самое число, которое одно, т.е. IS
I would hope that a wise white man with the richness of his experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a latina female who hasn't lived that life
blanko27
Уже с Приветом

Post by blanko27 »

Alexander Troyansky wrote: 05 Oct 2018 16:37A number of чего-то не в единственном указывает, что чего-то несколько, т.е ARE. The number of чего-то - указывает на самое число, которое одно, т.е. IS
Вы абсолютно правы, в подтверждение вот фраза из книжки Verbal Advantage: "Remember, a number is always plural; the number is always singular."
liamkin
Уже с Приветом

Post by liamkin »

haters be hating
or
bitches be tripping
M. Ridcully wrote: 23 Jan 2017 20:08 Как перевести?

Return to “Английский язык”