How Android Gmail app stores messages locally

kyk
Уже с Приветом

How Android Gmail app stores messages locally

Post by kyk »

I have had my Gmail account on my destop PC for many years, so I have many many thousands of old messages, which take several Gigabytes of Gmail cloud storage, say 10Gb.

Now I want to setup Gmail app on my Android phone. Will it download all those old messages and store them locally on my Android phone?

If so, will it need 10Gb of local phone storage? Will it matter if messages are archived or not?

Can I limit the number of locally stored messages? Say, only messages for the last 3 months?

Can I set phone's SD card for message storage?
Лучше переесть, чем недоспать! © Обратное тоже верно :umnik1:
aleh
Уже с Приветом

Re: How Android Gmail app stores messages locally

Post by aleh »

Мобильные клиенты не скачивают все с облака. Только то, что вы скачаете вручную

Sent from my HUAWEI ALE-L04 using Tapatalk
"Нет поэтов в родне, инженеры одне..."
AndreyT
Уже с Приветом

Re: How Android Gmail app stores messages locally

Post by AndreyT »

kyk wrote:Now I want to setup Gmail app on my Android phone. Will it download all those old messages and store them locally on my Android phone?
If so, will it need 10Gb of local phone storage? Will it matter if messages are archived or not?
No, by default it will not download them all.

Gmail can "sync" (download) some messages to local phone storage. You can choose what messages to sync on per-label basis, i.e. you can chose which specific labels you want to download. By default, only Inbox(es) is/are downloaded.

For each label you can choose 1) not to sync at all, 2) sync all messages, or 3) sync only last N days of messages.

Number of days N is a user-selectable setting, although it is a global setting: it applies across all labels, for which you chose option 3 from the above list.
kyk wrote:Can I limit the number of locally stored messages? Say, only messages for the last 3 months?
You can specify the number of days to sync. You can't specify the exact number of messages to sync.
kyk wrote:Can I set phone's SD card for message storage?
No, AFAIK.
Best regards,
Андрей

Return to “Электроника”