Грязные трюки США в ООН

Мнения, новости, комментарии
CBI
Уже с Приветом

Грязные трюки США в ООН

Post by CBI »

Revealed: US dirty tricks to win vote on Iraq war
Secret document details American plan to bug phones and emails of key Security Council members
Read the memo
Talk about it: dirty tricks?

Martin Bright, Ed Vulliamy in New York and Peter Beaumont
Sunday March 2, 2003
The Observer

The United States is conducting a secret 'dirty tricks' campaign against UN Security Council delegations in New York as part of its battle to win votes in favour of war against Iraq.

Details of the aggressive surveillance operation, which involves interception of the home and office telephones and the emails of UN delegates in New York, are revealed in a document leaked to The Observer.

The disclosures were made in a memorandum written by a top official at the National Security Agency - the US body which intercepts communications around the world - and circulated to both senior agents in his organisation and to a friendly foreign intelligence agency asking for its input.

The memo describes orders to staff at the agency, whose work is clouded in secrecy, to step up its surveillance operations 'particularly directed at... UN Security Council Members (minus US and GBR, of course)' to provide up-to-the-minute intelligence for Bush officials on the voting intentions of UN members regarding the issue of Iraq.

The leaked memorandum makes clear that the target of the heightened surveillance efforts are the delegations from Angola, Cameroon, Chile, Mexico, Guinea and Pakistan at the UN headquarters in New York - the so-called 'Middle Six' delegations whose votes are being fought over by the pro-war party, led by the US and Britain,

http://www.observer.co.uk/iraq/story/0,12239,905936,00.html
KNOWLEDGE IS POWER! ЗНАНИЕ - СИЛА!
Disclaimer: These views might be different from any other views in my Universe.
vaduz
Уже с Приветом

Post by vaduz »

Б-р-р. Ничего не понял. Где в приведенном "leaked memorandum" говорится о прослушивании телефонов?
CBI
Уже с Приветом

Post by CBI »

vaduz wrote:Б-р-р. Ничего не понял. Где в приведенном "leaked memorandum" говорится о прослушивании телефонов?

Observer Exclusive

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
US plan to bug Security Council: the text

Online document: The text of the memorandum detailing the US plan to bug the phones and emails of key Security Council members, revealed in today's Observer

Talk about it: dirty tricks?

Iraq: Observer special

Sunday March 2, 2003

To: [Recipients withheld]
CIV/NSA
Sent on Jan 31 2003 0:16
Subject: Reflections of Iraq Debate/Votes at UN-RT Actions + Potential for Related Contributions
Importance: HIGH
Top Secret//COMINT//XI

All,

As you've likely heard by now, the Agency is mounting a surge particularly directed at the UN Security Council (UNSC) members (minus US and GBR of course) for insights as to how to membership is reacting to the on-going debate RE: Iraq, plans to vote on any related resolutions, what related policies/ negotiating positions they may be considering, alliances/ dependencies, etc - the whole gamut of information that could give US policymakers an edge in obtaining results favorable to US goals or to head off surprises. In RT, that means a QRC surge effort to revive/ create efforts against UNSC members Angola, Cameroon, Chile, Bulgaria and Guinea, as well as extra focus on Pakistan UN matters.

We've also asked ALL RT topi's to emphasize and make sure they pay attention to existing non-UNSC member UN-related and domestic comms for anything useful related to the UNSC deliberations/ debates/ votes. We have a lot of special UN-related diplomatic coverage (various UN delegations) from countries not sitting on the UNSC right now that could contribute related perspectives/ insights/ whatever. We recognize that we can't afford to ignore this possible source.

We'd appreciate your support in getting the word to your analysts who might have similar, more in-direct access to valuable information from accesses in your product lines. I suspect that you'll be hearing more along these lines in formal channels - especially as this effort will probably peak (at least for this specific focus) in the middle of next week, following the SecState's presentation to the UNSC.
vaduz
Уже с Приветом

Post by vaduz »

Sorry, я это видел, а где там про телефоны?
CBI
Уже с Приветом

Post by CBI »

vaduz wrote:Sorry, я это видел, а где там про телефоны?

We've also asked ALL RT topi's to emphasize and make sure they pay attention to existing non-UNSC member UN-related and domestic comms for anything useful related to the UNSC deliberations/ debates/ votes
vaduz
Уже с Приветом

Post by vaduz »

IMO, здесь речь идет об общении, а не средствах связи...
CBI
Уже с Приветом

Post by CBI »

vaduz wrote:IMO, здесь речь идет об общении, а не средствах связи...

Насколько я знаю этот термин используется специалистами для технических средств связи. К тому же, что такое your product line в следующей цитате:

We'd appreciate your support in getting the word to your analysts who might have similar, more in-direct access to valuable information from accesses in your product lines
vaduz
Уже с Приветом

Post by vaduz »

comms - сокращение от communications.
product line - без понятия, жаргон, видимо. IMO, может быть информатор или отдел, выдающий аналитическую информацию.

IMO, весь сыр бор из-за того, что письмо двусмысленное вследствие профессионального жаргона.

Это как в том анекдоте про программеров в автобусе...
CBI
Уже с Приветом

Post by CBI »

vaduz wrote:comms - сокращение от communications.
product line - без понятия, жаргон, видимо. IMO, может быть информатор или отдел, выдающий аналитическую информацию.

IMO, весь сыр бор из-за того, что письмо двусмысленное вследствие профессионального жаргона.

Это как в том анекдоте про программеров в автобусе...

А может Вы просто не хотите видеть очевидное?
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/03/03/1046540131913.html

The US Government has not responded to claims that its electronic spying organisation, the National Security Agency, is aggressively bugging delegations at the UN Security Council as part of the Bush Administration's efforts to win a second resolution on Iraq.

But an intelligence expert on the National Security Agency said yesterday that a memo leaked to the British Observer newspaper about the alleged operation, looked "authentic". James Bamford, author of two books on the NSA, also believed the agency would have sent the memo to Australia's electronic spying agency, DSD.

The memo, allegedly from a senior NSA official, outlines an aggressive effort to target six countries now sitting on the UN Security Council whose votes are critical on Iraq.
Last edited by CBI on 03 Mar 2003 23:16, edited 1 time in total.
vaduz
Уже с Приветом

Post by vaduz »

Когда что-то трудно доказать - это объявляют очевидным.
Я допускаю, что NSA прослушивает телефоны, etc. раз так говорят в прессе.
Но я также допускаю, что журналист преднамеренно неверно трактовал текст memo.
Второе мне представляется более правдоподобным. Видимо из-за нелюбви к журналистским приемчикам по состряпыванию сенсаций в ущерб истине...
CBI
Уже с Приветом

Post by CBI »

vaduz wrote:Когда что-то трудно доказать - это объявляют очевидным.
Я допускаю, что NSA прослушивает телефоны, etc. раз так говорят в прессе.
Но я также допускаю, что журналист преднамеренно неверно трактовал текст memo.
Второе мне представляется более правдоподобным. Видимо из-за нелюбви к журналистским приемчикам по состряпыванию сенсаций в ущерб истине...

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2003/03/20030303-3.html
Q May I also ask you about a report in The Observer newspaper in London, of a memo purported to be from the NSA -- an email message from a man who actually works at the NSA they established -- in which he describes a surge in surveillance of U.N. Security Council members to see what these nations are thinking about an Iraq vote. What's your response?

MR. FLEISCHER: Terry, as a matter of long-standing policy, the administration never comments on anything involving any people involved in intelligence. For example, if somebody were to say to me, is Libya an object of American intelligence -- I would never answer that question yes or no. The administration does not answer questions of that nature. We don't answer who does or does not work in the intelligence community. Once you start that, you start getting into process of elimination and we do not do that about any question, about any report, as a blanket matter of policy.

Q But, then, if you're a Cameroonian diplomat or a French diplomat at the United Nations, because of what you just said, you're going to have to operate on the assumption that the United States is bugging you.

MR. FLEISCHER: No, it's a blanket matter of policy that we do not answer questions of that nature, whether it's true or not true, and I'm not indicating to you whether it is true or not true. It's a blanket matter of approach and policy that predates this administration.

and added on edit, the other question;
Q Ari, is there -- going back to the British newspaper, The Observer, is there really a need to spy on the non-permanent members of the Security Council, to wiretap their phones? Is it true what the newspaper is --

MR. FLEISCHER: I just go right back to my answer to Terry on that question. And, again, I hope you can appreciate, the reason that these questions never get answered -- and not to infer that that means a yes or a no, because it's impossible for you to make those judgments, because we are not -- I'm not indicating to you yes or no.

But I gave an example at the beginning. If I said, yes, we are, you would know something about what we do with our intelligence. If I say, no, we're not, you start asking that question around the world to try to use the process of elimination to find out what the United States does, from an intelligence point of view.

And that is not a position that I think the American people would want the government to go down the line and start to describe every specific item of intelligence. So I'm not saying yes and I'm not saying no, I'm stating the long-standing policy of the government on questions exactly like this, which do come up from time to time.

Last edited by CBI on 03 Mar 2003 23:14, edited 1 time in total.
DanielMa
Уже с Приветом

Post by DanielMa »

CBI wrote:.

СBI,

Каждый видет что хочет. Вы наверно и без этого мемо обо всем догадывались.

А для меня это вполне невинное мемо смысл которого "Ну вы там поднапрягитесь. Подторайтесь узнать что мотивирует этих представителей. Нам очень хочеться их понять получше".
vaduz
Уже с Приветом

Post by vaduz »

CBI, отказ отвечать на вопрос не является подтверждением или опровержением чего либо.
CBI
Уже с Приветом

Post by CBI »

DanielMa wrote:

СBI,

Вы наверно и без этого мемо обо всем догадывались.

Чушь. Я обычно полагаюсь на факты.
CBI
Уже с Приветом

Post by CBI »

vaduz wrote:CBI, отказ отвечать на вопрос не является подтверждением или опровержением чего либо.

Отказ отпровергнуть подобные вещи не внушает доверия к правительству, его методам, мотивам и намерениям.
Last edited by CBI on 03 Mar 2003 23:20, edited 1 time in total.
Иван Купала
Новичок

Post by Иван Купала »

А кто ж, мил человек, тебе эти факты сообщит-то? И ты тому поверишь, кто тебе эти "факты" сообщит?! :gen1:
Все, что я говорю - ложь. Все о чем я молчу - вас не касается.
vaduz
Уже с Приветом

Post by vaduz »

CBI wrote:
DanielMa wrote:
СBI, Вы наверно и без этого мемо обо всем догадывались.

Чушь. Я обычно полагаюсь на факты.

Каковы же факты?

- Memo с текстом, допускающим двойное толкование
- Отказ комментировать это мемо со стороны gov, что является обычной практикой
- Неназванный сотрудник NSA считает, что мемо подлинное

Назвать выводы, которые сделал Observer из этих фактов очевидными...
Ха-ха... CBI, подвергайте сомнению - ибо это есть путь к истине...
vaduz
Уже с Приветом

Post by vaduz »

CBI wrote:
vaduz wrote:CBI, отказ отвечать на вопрос не является подтверждением или опровержением чего либо.

Отказ отпровергнуть подобные вещи не внушает доверия к правительству, его методам и намерениям.

IMO, опровержению не поверят.
А полиси никак не комментировать дела разведки мне кажется вполне разумной.
CBI
Уже с Приветом

Post by CBI »

vaduz wrote:
CBI wrote:

Отказ отпровергнуть подобные вещи не внушает доверия к правительству, его методам и намерениям.

IMO, опровержению не поверят.
А полиси никак не комментировать дела разведки мне кажется вполне разумной.

Опровергнуть боятся - а вдруг всплывут новые факты и поставят американское правительство еще в более глупое положение.
vaduz
Уже с Приветом

Post by vaduz »

CBI wrote:Опровергнуть боятся - а вдруг всплывут новые факты и поставят американское правительство еще в более глупое положение.

Уловка 22
Victor
Уже с Приветом

Post by Victor »

Разве прослушивание телефонов дипломатов является чем-то необычным для разведки?
vaduz
Уже с Приветом

Post by vaduz »

Дело не в разведке. Дело в прессе и ее "грязных трюках" и раздувании сенсаций.
Fielder
Уже с Приветом

Post by Fielder »

http://www.dw-world.de/russian/0,3367,4 ... _A,00.html

[quote:a17dd0f705]Беззастенчивые попытки США "купить" или голоса в Совете Безопасности ООН или заполучить их с помощью шантажа свидетельствуют не только об изолированности США, но и об их отношении к Совету Безопасности ООН. Это утверждение остаётся в силе, даже если не подтвердятся слухи о том, что американские спецслужбы прослушивают разговоры дипломатов ООН. Об огромном недоверии свидетельствует уже сам факт, что никто не сомневается в способности США на это.[/quote:a17dd0f705]
Du glaubst zu schieben, und du wirst geschoben. (c) Goethe
vaduz
Уже с Приветом

Post by vaduz »

[quote:375efc0948="Fielder"]Это утверждение остаётся в силе, даже если не подтвердятся слухи о том, что американские спецслужбы прослушивают разговоры дипломатов ООН.[/quote:375efc0948]

Ложки-то мы потом нашли, но неприятный осадок все-таки остался...
CBI
Уже с Приветом

Post by CBI »

Victor wrote:Разве прослушивание телефонов дипломатов является чем-то необычным для разведки?

Тем не менее это не делает данные трюки чистыми.

Особенно учитывая то, что мировое сообщество доверяет США штаб-квартиру ООН, а также учитывая, что администрация пытается доказать, что ее помыслы в Ираке благородны.

Return to “Политика”