Через тернии к звездам после окончания школы

Радости и заботы.
Smeh
Уже с Приветом

Через тернии к звездам после окончания школы

Post by Smeh »

Решила,что многим родителям будет интерено прочесть наблюдения-размышления американской мамы

"...as this new school year approaches, I thought I'd share the range of experiences that happened to my daughter's friend group over the past two years.

(Sorry it's so long, I was surprised when I sat down to write this, that there were so many)

Update: numbers = friends

1. Loved college, doing well, involved and active at school. Starting RA position in September. Happy.

2. Seemed to adjust well (she was the one I thought would be most homesick) and was all set to go back for 2nd semester and abruptly decided not to. Had to go back in January to move her stuff out of the dorm. Living at home, working, and take a few classes at community college. Happy.

3. Passed on amazing scholarship (tuition and housing) to pay full price at dream school. Had to take semester off due to lack of funds, but back now. Loves school, but works a lot. Happy, but stressed.

4. Went to large southern school for the whole sorority experience. Loves it. Happy.

5. Went to a different large southern school for the whole sorority experience. Hated it. Transferred to SUNY school. Happy.

6. Attending a small private college in a touristy town. Traded a semester in Australia for a new car. Happy.

7. Attending a small private college. Currently in Australia for semester. Very happy.

8. Attending a fairly prestigious NYC college with good scholarship, spent last semester in Europe and had amazing time. Back in school in September. Happy, but says that Europe will always be the highlight of her life.

9. Flunked out of an out of state college, flunked out of an in state college. Started working at upscale fast food restaurant, loves it, promoted to shift manager. Attending CC for hospitality degree. Happy.

10. Miserable for first few weeks, then partied too much. Pretty unimpressive grades after first semester. Went back in January, partied too much, flunked midterms. Dropped out after right after. Got a job working in real estate for parents' friend. Making good money. Not interested in getting a degree. Happy, but mom isn't.

11. Attended a small private college for a year. Describes it as "meh" experience. Transferred to large local SUNY. Also "meh" because it's hard to make friends. Okay.

12. Hated school from day one, begged to come home, parents encouraged her to finish at least the semester. Came home or parents visited multiple times in September. Met a boy in October. Happy. Still dating him.

13. Hated school from day one, begged to come home, mom and dad said okay. Came home in October. Living at home and attending CC. Happy.

14. Left private college, transferred to SUNY, due to finances. Happy.

15. Left private college, transferred to CC, due to finances. Happy.

16. Left school in January due to anxiety and depression. Attended CC for a year. Supposed to transfer to large out of state college in September. I hope she's happy and ready.

17. Got pregnant at 18 during spring of senior year in high school. Living with long time boyfriend. They're juggling going to CC, working, and parenthood. Happy.

18. (and 19.) High school friends that decided to room together after wonky orientation roommates. Had issues with cleanliness, romances, friendships, etc. One moved out in February of freshman year. Haven't spoken to each in two years, but otherwise happy.

the most important take away from this post is despite many different paths and journeys , most ended up happy
"Суть известной басни Крылова состоит в том, что лишь потеряв сыр, можно обрести свободу слова".
Smeh
Уже с Приветом

Re: Через тернии к звездам после окончания школы

Post by Smeh »

поговорить по теме никто не хочет?
"Суть известной басни Крылова состоит в том, что лишь потеряв сыр, можно обрести свободу слова".
Valeus
Уже с Приветом

Post by Valeus »

Так это лишь пара лет. Интереснее, что будет еще года через 2-3-5.
StrangerR
Уже с Приветом

Post by StrangerR »

А там мама умная. Отмечает be happy как главное, а не _карьеру или деньги_. И она права.

Общий то вывод - дайте подросткам самим плавать, чуть помогайте, и они будут счастливы.
SK
Уже с Приветом

Post by SK »

Valeus wrote: 14 Aug 2017 04:52 Так это лишь пара лет. Интереснее, что будет еще года через 2-3-5.
Вот-вот. Цыплят по осени считают.
dlily9
Уже с Приветом

Post by dlily9 »

StrangerR wrote: 14 Aug 2017 16:22 А там мама умная. Отмечает be happy как главное, а не _карьеру или деньги_. И она права.

Общий то вывод - дайте подросткам самим плавать, чуть помогайте, и они будут счастливы.
На мамины - папины деньги :fr:
Experience is the best teacher but the most expensive.

Return to “Наши дети”